Friday, April 29, 2011

Day of Days

Or, adding in the drama of the Southeast's severe weather and our small drama of our poor cat needing her eye removed (unless someone else out there has the additional $1,000 we'd need to only remove her lens), it's really been the Week of Weeks. With all the ups and downs, I'm so glad tomorrow's Saturday. I only have a baby shower and getting Daddy at the airport Saturday. (Ignoring the laundry, dishes, naps, meals, etc!)

Before blabbing about the two major events in H's life that happened today, I will throw in a note that, gratefully, all my family in AL is safe. My brother in Madison and his family were skipped over by the storm. There were 2-4 tornados in their area. (Need to verify the number, obviously, but I don't want to keep cell phone lines tied up for chit-chat.) I haven't spoken with my younger brother in Montgomery yet, but my mom said he was okay. A family we're friends with have family there in Madison as well, and they are gratefully fine too.

Now, H's day.

At breakfast this morning, H declared, "This is going to be a fantastic day!" Fantastic is not a word frequently used in our home (although S can correct me on that), so if she says fantastic, she means FANTASTIC! She has been waiting and preparing for it for months! So, what was the first big part of her day? Kindergarten Registration!

After arriving, H found her name tag, got her picture taken, and was swept off to play in the gym with all the other so-excited-to-almost-be-kindergarteners while I chatted with the school nurse and joined the other moms and dads in the Little Theatre. (They have a Little Theatre. How cool is that?) She told me that first she read books, and then she did her shapes, (colors?), and numbers. And her cute little friend TK, a boy, from church (and two minutes down the road from us!) was there! They got to ride a school bus together. H told me that as they were climbing onto the bus, T was behind her, so they got to sit together--and they held hands. Too Cute! The bus drove them in a circle around the school, she said. I spoke with T at this evening's activity, and from his excitement, you would think getting to ride the bus was the coolest thing he'd ever done his whole life! "Ah, to be young again!" sighed by my 79-yr-old friend while watching the arrival of London's famous bride certainly fits this situation as well. (She invited me to high tea this afternoon at her new retirement home. They even had tieras for the ladies. Too funny! And certainly yummy!)

The other major occasion of the day was H and her preschool friends performed their "O is for Ocean" dance for our congregation's talent show. Here it is!


Introduction

During the dance, watch for the following:
- mermaids (dancing girls)
- sharks
- swimmers
- an eel
- a cool "freeze!" section where I guess I don't remember what they're portraying!
- waves
- and then, three different kinds of coral and the ways they move (in whatever order each child wants to portray them). The first just kind of sways in the waves, the second is small and pops open and closed, and the third opens up big and then drops down small.



My friend TS did a beautiful job helping the kids choreograph this kids! And I'm so glad she did it! Performing on stage was a dream come true for my H!

Oh, and right after I stopped recording, TS brought the kids back out on stage to take a bow. I SO WISH that I hadn't missed recording the grand moment when H joyfully took a sideways leap back onto the stage. I swear she could have touched the sky, arms and legs outspread as she simply glowed the biggest grin at that cheering audience. Oh, what a moment!


As a side note....Realizing there was no way I could video a two-minute dance while holding a swiggling one-year-old, I dropped Lil'S into the arms of an unsuspecting teenage boy! LOL!

"Here! Hold a baby!" I'd said before disappearing to the back of the filled gymnasium. That kid was a real trooper to take him for me! One of the best compliments I've probably ever received in regard to Lil'S was the teen's response when I returned.

"Your baby is Awesome!"

I certainly agree!

2 comments:

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Oh, for cute! She definitely has her mother's dancing ability! Sorry about Mitzy's eye. Pet problems can be so hard.

Butterfly Wings said...

How fun for her to dance. She did a great job!