Saturday, August 20, 2011

Earthquake

So, I didn't realize yesterday's earthquake was what it was until a while afterward because it took me so totally by surprise. I've even been in an earthquake before. But, laying in bed and feeling the bed rippling like a waterbed was a little cooler sensation for an 18-year-old who'd always wanted to experience an earthquake than a crashing through the ceiling of a 29-yr-old's tree-surrounded house when she's got two little kids to worry about and a husband out of town.

When I heard a rumbling sound, I looked up from where I was standing by my fridge and actually saw the center portions of my home's ceilings rising and dropping with the waves. It sounded like a heavy tree rolling and bouncing across the house, or a huge man or animal crashing through my attic. It looked like someone was running across my ceiling, making the ceiling drop wherever his feet were placed, toward me through the kitchen, over my head, and then turn right and continue running across my long, narrow family room. I backed into the family room as I saw the ceiling buckling toward me, and then I chased it through the family room, wondering what in the world was going on. I actually stood there watching out the windows of my french doors, waiting for something to fall off my roof and land on my back deck, despite how illogical that seemed.

My scared H ran from her bedroom ("The shaking is scaring me, Mama!"), and I made her stay in the kitchen while I went outside to see if there was something still on my roof, as obviously nothing had fallen, and the crashing had seemed to peter out as it approached the back deck. Of course, outside was as peaceful as could be, and there was no sign that anything had ever been up there on my roof. When I came back in, my girl was on the phone with her Daddy, who'd called to say he'd just heard from some colleagues that we'd recently had an earthquake. Oh! So that's what it was!

Is it obvious I have pregnancy brain? But, seriously, how likely is an earthquake here of all places? I think a falling tree or a lunatic running across my roof are more likely to happen than that. Of course, they wouldn't explain the movements of my ceiling, but it's not like my brain believed my eyes on that one until hours later anyway.

No comments: