Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How did I miss these???

July 16, 2008
So, would this be considered being caught red-handed?


I did it! I made pizza dough! (It's been a while. . . .)
AND, it's a whole-wheat pizza dough that actually tasted good!


H helping. . . ?

I'm grateful that I remembered at this moment
that my daughter was more important than my nearly perfect
(hey, for me at least!) pizza crust and grabbed the camera instead of yelling at her.


Sept. 14, 2008

Anyone know what kind of bug this is?
(I hope uploading this vid doesn't completely kill the quality.)

Here's a still shot that definitely didn't do it justice.
Our camera's flash has always been a little . . . excessive, shall we say.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like a pine beetle to me. :)

HW said...

I don't know what they are, but we saw them when we lived in Durham too.

Hubers said...

We call them stink bugs. Cute pic of H helping with the pizza...and whole wheat, way to go!!

Megan and Jeremy said...

That would definitely be considered caught red-handed! Pretty cute actually. And good for you for grabbing the camera instead of getting upset-I'm still working on that one :)

Southern Spud said...

YEAH!!! It's so great to hear from all of you!!! :) :) :)

Southern Spud said...

Oh, and nice, a stink bug? ;) Actually, it does look more like a stink bug than a pine beetle (sorry Jenny!) at least from what I've found doing a quick image search. However, the body shape is a little different.

Hmmm . . . . .

I FOUND IT!!! IJUHGYVG,L,GVM. .VGH. ../ ,. CVM,HNHB
http://bugguide.net/node/view/9679
IT'S A WHEEL BUG. OP. H TURNED ON CAPS LOCK....

Southern Spud said...

---From http://bugguide.net/node/view/454

CAUTION: the adult wheelbug is reported to inflict a very painful bite. Featured Creatures (see below for link) reports that ammonia water and magnesium sulphate soaks can be helpful in relieving pain from the bite. Perhaps (like fire ant bites), quick treatment with an ammonia-based household cleaner may be effective if you have been bitten. See Lynette's list of fire ant remedies here for some other suggestions - and please comment if you have any experience with these bites.
----

Um . . . I think I'm glad I didn't touch it. And I think I'm glad I had caught it when it was heading toward our apartment's entrance! ick!