Thursday, July 7, 2011

Couponing

A friend recently mentioned having learned to coupon, so I passed on to her my bit of advice about it: Be careful that you don't end up just adding empty calories to your family's diet. I try to keep myself balanced by determining how much I'm paying for the nutrition each food provides. It's really helped me keep things in perspective. For example, I'll pay that $3 for a pint of berries, but not for a bag of chips. A bag of chips had better be free....or 50c....and only purchased on occasion because two bags of 50c chips equals a pound of fresh fruits or vegetables.

What are your big couponing tips? What helps you keep things from taking too much time while still getting those good deals? What are you favorite sites?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I've read storied about those who do "extreme couponing" and how they say they save something like $1400 a year. The only problem is that number is based on what is on the bottom of the receipt. You have to look at how much you would be spending on your normal grocery bill vs. when you use coupons, and you'd probably find you don't save that much afterall.

I only use a coupon if it's a really good one (more than 50% off), and is something that I would normally buy any way. Otherwise, you might find that you are spending more money that you normally would for things you don't really need.