Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Squash Seeds?

So, we've had these squash seeds sitting in the fridge the past few days, and my amazing husband baked them--and the others we added to the pile today--up with oil and salt. We'd heard for years of people snacking on pumpkin seeds (which always made my stomach curl, as I've always abhorred the smell of cooking pumpkin) and finally thought we'd give it a try. If you walked into our house, you'd think we were baking bread--seriously. Oh, our house smelled lovely!

The first batch was acorn squash seeds. I could not believe it, but they tasted like a mix between sunflower seeds and popcorn. It was awesome! (Although, more like sunflower seeds with the hulls, but not quite that bad.) The second batch was butternut squash seeds, which were faster cooking as the seeds are smaller. Once again, I couldn't believe what I tasted. They were light and crispy, like bits of flavored corn chips! I can't describe the flavor, though. You'll just have to try them yourself. ;) They were much more rich than the acorn squash. The chef-with-the-fantastic-accent recommended using them in place of croutons on green salads, and I would totally agree. Too rich to just snack on, for my tastes, but using them as salad or soup toppers? That sounds yummy!

Here are the instructions S followed, except we didn't wait for them to "pop". We considered them done when they were lightly toasted as we simply couldn't wait anymore!

No comments: