Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stress!

Wow, life can be stressful sometimes. We just got rid of one major stressor (for a while anyway) and were handed a new one. I'd say I wonder what's next, but I think I'll just focus on these for a while. . . .

- Well, pregnancy. It's not bad, really. Fatigue is pretty well my lot in life right now, and I've learned to manage it. Hip pain and pressure are certainly a little more challenging, especially when they are such that I have to stay off my feet or hit me when I'm not expecting them. And my asthma's not all that bad, although gagging or actually losing breakfast after taking my meds isn't that fun....

- H's eye treatment: This is what we were just hit with. We've finally got her cooperating with the eye patching--would have done it sooner but life's been crazy and she was sleeping horribly, which means no even mentioning the word "patch" unless you want to listen to a melt-down. We were paying her a dime for every half hour she'd wear it, we got her a couple library books about girls who wore patches, and we even found a friend of mine's daughter is dealing with similar issues, so now she has a pen pal! And then we go to the doctor, who recommends more aggressive treatment: atropine eye drops to blur her right eye through the entire day. Well, it's not surgery, so I'm thankful for that (although I'm sure there are going to be moments where I'll think that's debateable). This is the same child, however, who asked or tantrumed every day for nursing for six months when I was trying to wean her; she does NOT back down from what she wants--even when I'm being a good, consistent parent! Gratefully, her desire to ride the bus and go to school overrode her desire to not have eye drops--at least long enough for her to say so. We still had to pin her down and just put them on her closed eye (doctor said that was better than nothing), but, hey, we got that done and she still caught the bus as it was late. That's called a heaven-sent blessing. She got her reward for at least partially cooperating. I am just hoping now that she got enough medication exposure, although that really can just come with time and experience. She doesn't have to have full-success with the med just yet.

- Diet-shhmmiet.....okay, this is going to be a little different issue with diets than most people may complain about. (Not that I'm really complaining, just listing these things. There is a difference....although maybe there's a mite of complaint in here too. I'm working on that.) I never thought I'd be one of those families where the mom is particular about what everyone eats. This causes this, that does that, etc. Insanity. Well, here I am, having to do all that! What a paradigm change this has all been! S is on a starch-free diet, as in microscopic bits of starch are no-nos. These days, various forms of starch are added to nearly all processed foods, ha, unless they're the expensive version. ;) So, in addition to no grains, most processed foods are off the list as well. And I guess I'm using the term "processed" very loosely, as we tend to avoid highly and even moderately processed foods. Go look at a package of shredded cheese--they add starch to keep it from clumping together. Yogurt (except Stoneyfield). Chocolate milk (but not Hershey's syrup!). Pretty much anything fast food, so my occasional sanity savers are GONE.

Lil'S appears to have a mild allergy to egg. It's simply bizarre. He doesn't get rashes if he doesn't eat egg. If he eats egg, he doesn't get rashes right away (outside of diaper rash, he's been quick to get those after he turned a year or so), rather he starts reacting to things he usually doesn't react to: the rubbing of the back of his dry diaper, our weekly calzones. We had him off egg for months, had him skin tested with no reaction, and after two mornings with egg, oh, look at those pink cheeks--face and bum! I put a different brand of diapers on him, and he just developed a new rash where the new diapers rubbed. This is obviously not your typical allergic reaction, but it's apparently led to his immune system being oversensitive, so looks like we have to watch out for it. And, with S's no-starch diet, what do you think we all eat every morning? Eggs. Lil'S was simply in heaven the mornings we finally let him have some, and I'm incredibly grateful he's an easy going child now as his complaints to not get them are fairly mild.

H - she's so completely out of her mind tired that she hardly eats anything. Either she's too tired to eat or she's too wired to eat. So, high-calorie (high fat/protein) has been the goal with her. An egg for breakfast (snuck in cheese today!) is the most we can ever get into her at breakfast time--a mere 70 calories, but she's simply just not hungry. Ah, well.

Me - lactose-intolerant, overly so. But I've been able to cheat lately. And I've also splurged with the expensive soy yogurt (Stoneyfields' is MUCH more palatable than O'Soy, which is where I'm cheating as it's milk-based culture rather than soy based. My excuse is the 6 probiotics, though.) Our finances can't support all this much longer, though! What else am I going to eat while tired and pregnant, though? Five bowls of cereal through the day just doesn't quite cut it anymore. That's just not healthy. Variety needs to happen somehow.

yes, insane.



1 comment:

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Oh, you poor thing. I can't even imagine trying to work around all of that. My sister-in-law has to feed a house full of Celiacs, and I am in awe of her. No starch? I have no idea where I would even start. Good luck, friend.