Wednesday, October 24, 2012

School Portrait



Here's my cutie!

The company the school used this year allows for a free low-res picture you can print (small!) and use online.  You can also buy the rights for a higher-res photo, but you have to pay like $30 or something for it.  We figured we'd save the money and use it toward family pictures--which I did find a photographer for, thanks to Living Social!!!*  I do wish they'd fixed her collar and centered her a tad more, but they did get a great smile from her.  Check out those missing teeth!  We keep laughing that she should be a vampire for Halloween!  We were also able to chose the background.  I liked doing that because with her coloring, you really have to be careful to chose colors that work for her.  S recommended the grey, and I was a bit hesitant, but I now think he chose the best one.  It allows her coloring to be the focal point of the photograph, rather than letting it get lost behind a bright background.

*I'm (obviously) super picky about photography, being the photo-junkie that I am, and I've been searching for an opportunity to have a professional family photo shoot for a price that fit in our budget for a couple years now.  I found that Groupon and Living Social often have deals from photographers looking to market their skills, but until now I haven't been fully satisfied with the pricing, quality or style of the photographers.  I prefer a natural, photojournalistic approach, as that's my own style, but some photographers now are messing with the colors by over saturating them. I don't want my babies looking like they're wearing dark pink lipstick.  That's just not my thing.  It's a little tricky, though, to get good quality photographs of your own family without the right equipment.  I do have a great film camera, as well as a tripod, but I don't have a remote.  And even if I did have a remote, my kids aren't quite at an age where they'd consistently look at the camera and smile.  They need someone human to tease their grins out of them.  As we learned with N, though, all we have to do is say, "Boo!"


No comments: