Friday, April 27, 2012

AIG

The Three-ring Concept of Giftedness represented a notebook

Yay!  We've started the process for having H evaluated for her school's Academically and Intellectually Gifted program.  I'm hoping this will be the next best thing to homeschooling her.  I know she could be much more challenged in school, at least in reading and writing.  She's at a second-grade reading level in kindergarten.  Their journal entries at the start of the year were "I see a cat." when her brain was thinking, "There's an orange, white, and black cat over there.  I wonder whose it is."  It was painful to see her dumb down her typical answers to questions in order to fit into that simplistic paradigm.  Yes, shorter answers are easier for young children to write, and I know you have to start somewhere, but, again, oh, how it hurt to hear her speak like a Dick and Jane book.  Also, her teacher hasn't had her students practice writing in any serious way, so H's handwriting is often atrocious, even though she can formed her letters very nicely when we sit down with her to review them.  Am I over the top, or should a six-year-old be able to write her name legibly?  I finally got to help out a little in H's classroom on Monday, and I had a hard time deciphering nearly every name written on the little "hats" I was helping the children with.  Somebody please tell me they will focus on handwriting more in first grade!!  I know it's not as essential these days as it used to be, but it certainly shouldn't become a lost art.

Sorry to rant.  It's just frustrating seeing my daughter doing totally easy stuff the whole year long.  She was writing her letters when she was two and a half, albeit only capitals at that time.  You'd think that four years later she'd have finally been taught by either us or the school how to properly write them--consistently!

2 comments:

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I have decided that I can't home school while we still have more children in Heaven to come because I am so worthless for those first few months even if I don't end up on bedrest. I just can't ask my kids to take all that time off of school, and I can't place that heavy a task on myself while I am just trying to get through the pregnancies. That being said, when our family is all here on Earth, I will be homsechooling my kids for at least part of the day. I know for certain Emma learns more from her little daily learning sessions with me than she ever learns from school. Her teacher knows she knows her stuff, so doesn't worry about her because she has 29 other kids to focus on. Understandable for her position, but frustrating for me. Emma adores school, but I know she is mostly there to be with her friends. Also- the handwriting thing is totally understandable. I don't care if we are in the technological age, people still need to write, and that skill should be taught young before bad habits become consistent and hard to fix. Emma's teacher focuses on it quite a bit, but maybe that is different. Sorry for the novel comment. I just didn't want you to think you were alone. You have to advocate for your child, but sometimes that just means being for them what you thought other people were going to be. I will gladly take on the role of teaching and CHALLENGING my children if she can't get that from other sources.

Southern Spud said...

THANK YOU,
THANK YOU,
THANK YOU!!!

I love you, Amanda!
But, you already knew that, huh. ;)